Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Blog Update

If you look at the archives of this blog, you can tell more or less exactly when I left my old administrative assistant job and became a full-time freelance illustrator — late fall in 2022, where the last (to date!) Night-Haunted Hogwarts post appears. Two things happened there: 1) going from a salaried office job with seasonal slow periods to an art career where I’m paid per project, I suddenly had a lot less time and energy for creative side-projects, and 2) I had to turn in my work laptop. 

My personal computer is a tiny 2011 MacBook Pro with a cracked casing and what might be the world’s last license for photoshop CS5 installed on it. It’s good for coloring my illustrations and basically nothing else. It’s also very unpleasant to do word processing on. Most of the writing I’ve done since then has been on my phone. In some ways this is very convenient, as I can peck away at projects whenever I might otherwise be scrolling on twitter, like when I’m on the toilet or supposed to be washing the dishes. When it comes to getting things off of my phone and into any kind of organized or publishable form, however, it’s a huge pain.

Fortunately, I have years of unpublished material (mostly written in the days when I had an office job) from abandoned or unfinished projects sitting in various documents, google docs, and email drafts. I think it will do me good to post some of that stuff here.



2 comments:

  1. I wrote all of His Majesty the Worm in an office job that interfaced with Singapore for 2 hours in the morning and "did nothing" for 6 hours. I hear you.

    ReplyDelete